The location of each Worldcon is chosen by a vote of the members of the Worldcon held two years earlier. So the site for the 2024 Worldcon – for which we are bidding – will be chosen by the members of the 2022 Worldcon. This process is known as Site Selection.
The Site Selection Process
The Site Selection process is defined in Article 4 of the Constitution of the World Science Fiction Society. In practice it works like this:
- Committees need to officially submit their bid six months ahead of the selecting Worldcon (so for us, in February 2022), showing that they have the facilities and organisation in place to run the event if successful
- Members of the selecting Worldcon can then submit ballots ranking the candidate sites in order of preference
- The votes are tallied and the result announced at the Worldcon Business Meeting on the fourth morning of the event.
To take part in Site Selection you therefore need to be a Supporting or Attending member of the 2022 Worldcon. You will also need to submit a voting fee (typically around US$50) along with your ballot. This fee will go directly to the winning bid (regardless of who you voted for), and in return you will automatically receive a Supporting Membership in the 2024 Worldcon. The winning bid will receive a list of everyone who voted, but your actual vote will be completely anonymous.
Upcoming Worldcons and Bids
The upcoming Worldcons and known bids are as follows.
- The 2020 Worldcon, ConZealand, was due to be held in Wellington, New Zealand, but has been transformed into a virtual event due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- The 2021 Worldcon, Discon III, will be held in Washington DC in August 2021
- The 2022 Worldcon is a competition between Chicago and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, with the result to be announced at ConZealand
- Known bidders for the 2023 Worldcon are Chengdu, China; Memphis, Tennessee; and Nice, France.
- Glasgow in 2024 is currently the only bidder for the 2024 Worldcon. We have a strong team and we want to maintain a strong presence over the next two years to deter potential competitors.
Supporting the Bid vs. Voting
You can support our bid at various levels from Pre-Support (£20) to Friend (£120) or Super-Friend (£300). This is separate from the Site Selection process – it is how people show support for our bid and help to bring the Worldcon back to Glasgow. Friends will receive a £100 discount off their Attending Membership if we are successful, while Super-Friends will automatically receive a full Attending Membership.
(We anticipate that a full Attending Membership will initially cost around £150, so if you are considering becoming a Super-Friend, please be aware that this is a way to provide extra financial support to the Bid, and includes a significant donation to us over and above the value of the convention membership you will receive if we win).